Sometimes I am contacted by clients who fell in for colorful and agressive advertisements of some “easy” and “free” website builders, and later discovered, that ended up being trapped in a limited and inflexible system, that offered “the first shot” for free, and then failed to account for the businesses growing needs. Sadly, some of my clients come after taking more that one step in that direction. As they grow and want something more robust and flexible, they realize they need to move from website builders to a CMS like Drupal. More than often I hear, that the clients have difficulties requesting their data and files for export. Website builders usually request enormous fees for providing clients their data for export (yet another catch). But then, when the data and files are there, the clients come and they want it migrated to Drupal.
The top reasons why my clients want to migrate from website builders to Drupal:
- Their business grew and they felt limited by the website builder system.
- The website builder would not allow them installing advanced scripts and functionality they needed.
- They needed a more powerful hosting, and discovered, that their website builder site was not movable.
- They needed a different design, and the website builder only allowed partial templating.
- As the amounts of visits grew, they were blocked for reaching the resources ceiling they never knew existed.
Drupal has a powerful set of modules that facilitates migration. The actual migration of data and files, however, comes closer to the project's end. First, the actual website needs to be planned, designed, and built. In the usual project workflow, Migration step would come within the “Adding Content” step.
Though Drupal has a powerful set of modules that facilitate migration, the process can still be tricky for the complex and inter-related pieces of content. If your site has only a few pieces of content, it might be cheaper to move it manually. Migration is suggested for the large arrays of content, that can not be easily moved over manually, and would there need the migration process to be autmated.
As a result of migration, you shall receive a flexible and robust Drupal website, with scalable architecture and the data, with the source data availble to you freely anytime.